15 July 2011

#51: Strawberry French Macarons

I am not a fan of macarons but I was obsessed with making them. First time I and Shirlyn baked them, they tasted good but had the wrong texture - they weren't smooth and pretty. So I decided to give it another try but with different recipe. I was careless in the first try. The recipe calls for 3 egg whites and I had 4 egg whites stored in the fridge. I guess another extra of egg white would be just okay. Turned out how wrong I was. The batter was so runny and would not set after 30 minutes standing. It was a disaster I threw them all in the bin.
Then I tried once again, this time I was really careful. I had a hard time trying to sieve the almond meal so I would have perfect smooth macaron skins. The batter looked great, the macarons got their "feet" when they started to rise in the oven. I was happy but when I took them out from the oven, their color was too pale and burnt a bit. I also noticed the "feet" were too big and messy they didn't look good but I kept going anyway. I sandwiched them with strawberry jam, gave it a try and they didn't taste good. They were eatable though. Next time I'm gonna try making macarons the Italian way - which is to boil the batter in a pot with the right temperature. I heard that the method was fail-proof. But not anytime soon since these macarons brought me down :(

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com