11 March 2010

#35 : Kurt Cobain Fondant Cake


Okay I do know that it doesn't exactly look like Kurt Cobain but I want to think that's him. :) Anyway, this is quite a breakthrough for me indeed. First of all, I'd been trying to bake a sponge cake three times and they weren't successful. Got a problem with the folding technique, with the eggs temperature and other things. And this time, I conquered the damn sponge cake. I was really nervous when putting the batter into the oven. I kept staring at the oven the whole time! Secondly, working with fondant has been really intimidating for me. It has always been, especially when covering the cake. I've read everywhere that the most tricky thing is when covering the cake. It could crack or get torn apart. Luckily, I did it well even though it wasn't quite neat. Thirdly, I was intimidated too with making fondant figurines. Coloring fondant has been a challenge for me too! So everything was so challenging.


At first I wanted to make the decorations as simple as possible because I knew it was my first time doing a cake and working with fondant is still scary. I was thinking to stick some colored-dots fondant all over the cake. But then my sister told me that it looked kind of empty. So I tried to make what I call as Kurt Cobain figurine (I wanted to make a Billie Joe but I knew it was going to be much harder - I'm gonna try it someday I swear). I was really nervous that my heart was beating so fast. My sister was laughing at me the whole time for being so insanely nervous. And when the cake was done, I felt like crying (I was not being a drama queen - I was just so happy). I got my passion for baking back again! You know I've kind of lost it lately. But now I already got my to-bake-list again and there are a lot! :)




With the cake I did put some Chantilly cream and put some strawberry jams with strawberry pieces. I covered the cake with the remaining cream and chilled it in the fridge. After that I got worried with the cake storage. Fondant cake cannot be kept in the fridge because it would get dry and would sweat by the time it is taken out from the fridge. But I got the cream and strawberry filling inside the cake - and it should be kept in the fridge. Damn. So what I did was I covered the cake with cling wrap and kept it in the fridge. I hope it wouldn't ruin the fondant.
The recipe for the sponge cake can be found here from Happy Home Baking
I added some lemon zest but I guess I put too much of it - the fragrant of the cake was too much like lemon. My sister was a fan but I wasn't. I'm gonna use less lemon zest next time.



0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com