02 October 2009

#17 : Klepon (Sweet Coconut Rice Balls)


Klepon is indeed really easy to make. Yet it made the most mess in my kitchen. Well it's not Klepon's fault. It was mine. I didn't know why but everything seemed to be crazy. I tried to open the packet of grated coconut and when I did it, the grated coconut was flying everywhere because I tore the packet too hard. And the worst part was the grated coconut was accidentally poured into the dough. OMG I just wanted to shoot myself at that time. But I managed to clean the mess though so it was okay.

Also when I boiled the balls, some of them were torn so the sugar leaked in the boiling water :( But most of them were good so it was okay. And most importantly, they tasted great although the color of the sugar was not brown.

The recipe was taken from here :

Ingredients :
- 1 1/2 cups glutinous rice powder
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (I used coconut milk)
- 8 tsp grated dark Java sugar (I used palm sugar)
- 1 cup grated coconut mixed with 1/2 tsp salt
- green food coloring

Directions:
1. Mix glutinous rice powder and coconut milk. Add some green food coloring. Mix until the dough is firm yet flexible.
2. Pull one teaspoon of the dough and make a ball out of it with the palms of your hands (I just made the balls without using teaspoon - you can make any size you want).
3. Push a finger on the center of the ball to make a hole and put approximately 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar in it. (Again, I just estimate the sugar, I didn't use any teaspoon). Prepare all the balls and set them aside. (I found that the longer you take for making the balls, the sugar leaked from some of the balls which were ready to be boiled).
4. Prepare a pot filled with water and bring to boil.
5. Drop the balls into the boiling water. Remove the balls from pot once they float to the surface.
6. Roll the balls on the grated coconut. Serve at room temperature.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com