11 October 2009

#22 : Chocolate Torte


I did have a bad experience baking cake with no raising agents. Failures. They say that the key was to fold in the batter really carefully. Yet I had never made it successful. So when I saw this recipe, I felt intimidated. But I decided to try it anyway. And I was really happy with the result! :) The cake raised during baking but then it sunk back once it was taken out. The smell of the chocolate was also so GOOD. My sis loved it so much and she said that it was more like a mudcake. It didn't taste sweet. It tasted rich in chocolate. I am so going to make this cake again someday. I got the recipe from Happy Home Baking

I thought why not trying to do some decorations? I gave it a go and it was just ugly :( I needed to learn more about cake decorating. So what I did was I tried to make the ganache out of milk chocolate. It should be dark chocolates but I didn't have it so milk chocolate it was. And it was not enough to cover the whole cake. The cake also had a little cracked on the top. Well HHB said that it was supposed to crack so I didn't mind. I used the wafer sticks to cover the sides. And after I did the ganache I pour some hundreds and thousands.



Ingredients:
(makes 18cm round cake)
- 150g dark chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 70g caster sugar
- 30g cake flour (*) = 5g cornflour +25g flour
- 15g cocoa powder

(*) I substitute the cake flour with 5g cornflour and 25g flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 170C
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder and cornflour twice.
3. Melt dark chocolate, add in butter and mix well. Let cool.
4 Whisk egg yolk with 35g sugar until thick, creamy and mustard like.
5. Add in chocolate/butter mixture. Whisk until well combined.
6. Add in sifted flour and fold gently. Set aside.
7. Beat 35g sugar and egg whites until foamy and stiff peaks form.
8. Add egg whites mixture to the egg yolk mixture in three additions. Fold gently.
9. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the skewer comes clean.
10. Remove cake from oven, leave it in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack.



0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com