08 October 2009

#20 : Pakne Cupcakes :D


It was my first time making cupcakes from the scratch and I used the recipe from the book that Erika gave to me : "1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats". I used the very first recipe "Iced Fairy Cakes". I was planning to decorate one cupcake with one letter for "Happy Birthday Pakne" so I used the mini muffin tins. The problem was that I didn't have a good consistency in pouring the batter into the tins. Sometimes I filled 2/3 sometimes I almost filled it full. So the shape of some of the cupcakes turned out weird so I needed to trim them using a bread knife. And they also differred in sizes :(

It was also my first time making the icing. If you decide to use food coloring liquid, just add some icing sugar to have the right consistency of the icing.


It was also my first time working with fondant. I used the ready to roll fondant which I bought from supermarket. When I tried to add some color, it got sticky! Then I found out that if I want to give some color to fondant, use food coloring paste instead of the liquid. At that moment I only had food coloring liquid. So I threw away all the ruined fondant.

With the letter, I used the edible decorations that I bought a few months ago. Well I think it was best to use the fondant though because the color of the letter didn't really match with the cupcakes. They were pink but different pinks.



Ingredients
- 115g butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 115g self-raising flour
Icing
- 200g icing sugar
- 2tbsp warm water
- a few drops of food coloring (optional)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Line and grease the muffin tins.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in eggs.
3. Sift the flour and fold into the mixture.
4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Icing : mix the icing sugar with the warm water and add some food coloring - spread the icing over the cupcakes and decorate as desired.



0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com