20 October 2009

#27 : Bow Cupcakes


I got the recipe from Erika's book because it's easy and I got all the ingredients on hand. I wanted to try another recipe from the Planet Cake book but I didn't have the complete ingredients. Well it's the decoration that mattered to me for this one so I think whatever the recipe is, is good.
The thing with working with fondant is that you need the thickness consistency - therefore I know I am gonna need a pasta machine. I haven't bought one because it's too expensive! $149.95?? My hand mixer which I used all the time only cost 10% off it ($14.95). So I delayed the purchase.
Another problem came up with bold coloring like black. I think it was not black after all, it's more like dark gray. The more you put coloring paste to the fondant, the more sticky it gets. I used the trick that Veli told me the other day, which is to put the coloring paste using a toothpick. I didn't have any so I used the thing to check the baked cake (Oh well I don't know the name). I also didn't have a fondant smoother so they're not smooth! :( But I was quite happy with the result. They made my day :)



I didn't color enough fondant so I didn't have enough to make the bow. The result of not being careful in spooning the batter - leaving the burnt marks on the edges! :(

I used the left over fondant to make this. Oh how I hate the burnt marks on the edge!

Ingredients :
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 115g self-raising flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line muffin trays with cupcake/muffin papers.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and beat them until smooth.
3. Spoon the batter to the muffin hole and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the oven. (Be careful in spooning the batter. If it's messy, it's gonna leave burnt marks on the paper muffin and that's not going to be pretty. Also the batter you put had to be 2/3 of the muffin papers, so it's easier to decorate with fondants)
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely

Note : cupcakes are easily dried out. To prevent from drying out, make some holes on the cupcakes, brush with some syrup generously then cover with fondant.

How to make syrup : mix 100g apricot jam with 100ml boiling water and whisk them - remove any lumps

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com