28 September 2009

#14 : Meringue


I got some leftover egg whites in the fridge and I was looking for ideas to make something out of it. I was thinking to make royal icing but I would need to make a cake or cupcake first. So I kept on looking. Til I found this Meringue recipe from Taste.com.au. They looked so cute! The recipe says 4 egg whites and I forgot how many egg whites I had in the container. I thought it was 7 egg whites so I multiplied the quantity by 1.75. Again, since I was still on this detox program I couldn't taste it. I was afraid it was too sweet. But my sister told me that meringue is supposed to be sweet. And the baking time on the recipe says it was 2.5 hours! And I only managed to bake them approximately 1 hour. They were hardened but some of them were broken into pieces when I tried to take them out from the baking tray. The ones that I baked on the baking paper were mostly broken into pieces because they sticked to the paper. Since then I didn't use any and just greased the baking pan with olive oil spray. They turned out better.

Tips:
- If you have small oven like I do and you have to bake several times, remember to beat the meringue until it is thick again before you pipe them through the nozzle. It is to keep the shape of the meringue.
- Because I had to bake several times, I couldn't leave the meringue in the oven. Instead I transferred them on to a wire rack.
- Meringue can last for 3 weeks if stored in airtight container.





Ingredients
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornflour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- pink food coloring
- green food coloring
- colored sprinkles for decorations

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 100 degrees C. Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Continue beating for two minutes or until the mixture is thick, glossy, al the sugar dissolves and a long trailing peak forms when the beater is lifted from the mixture. Add the cornflour and vinegar, whisk until just combined.
4. Divide meringue between two bowl. Color one with pink, and one with green.
5. Pipe them with a 1.5cm diameter nozzle - or shape them into whatever you want it to be. Give approximately 3 cm space between them.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 2.5 hours. Turn oven off and leave in oven for 3 hours.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com